Monday, June 10, 2013

MOUNTAIN AND VALLEY

Three Bad Seeds
I came across this beautiful song "it is well with my soul" .. (or hymn I should say) .. written by Horatio Spafford, who was an American lawyer. Yes you heard me right! He was a prominent lawyer in Chicago and he could write songs! Awesome right ... I never heard any lawyer who could write a song ...

But the story behind the song wasn't as pretty. Horatio was inspired to write the song, after several tragedies that happened in his life. His business took a hit from the great Chicago fire in 1871 and the economic downturn two years later. 

As if it wasn't enough ... 
After the economic downturn, Horatio and his family planned to travel to Europe. But there was a change of plan, so he had to stay back and sent the family ahead. On their journey across the Atlantic, the ship, where his family boarded, sank after a collision with another vessel.

Horatio's four daughters all died and only his wife survived. No wayyy!

I cannot imagine the grieve and the loss they experienced as parents...
Did he write a song of disappointment? No ..
Was it a song of complaints? Not even a hint ...
His song was a song of praise and assurance!

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul."

Horatio and his wife later had few other children. Him and his family moved to Jerusalem and helped found a group "the American Colony" whose mission was to serve the poor. Wow, such a fine guy!

I'm so inspired by him and these words just kept popping up in my head ..
"It doesn't matter whether you are on the mountain top or down in the valley ... when you have God, it is well with your soul."

Do you have a song that's been an inspirational to you?

PS: Feel free to download this 4x6 printable note card that I just made today.
Note: for personal use only. You can pin it or share with a link back to my blog. and no reselling please ;)


7 comments:

  1. I had heard this story before, I had I forgotten all about it. What a beautiful reminder to be strong and have faith even through the toughest of circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison. Yes I need that reminder too :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susana. I just visited your blog too and it's beautiful! xo
      mia

      Delete
  3. I have never heard this story! Thanks for sharing and glad that you found me so I could find you! New follower. :)
    XOXO/Lena
    rootandblossom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lena .. just followed your beautiful blog too xoxo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...