Tuesday, July 23, 2013

DIY BIRD DOME WITH PAPER FEATHERS

Remember the DIY hand-stamped paper feather gift tags I did recently?

Today I'll share with you another DIY idea using die-cut paper feathers, kindly sponsored by Kindall Krafts).



I had an empty glass jar of Robert Timms Coffee. The hubby and I are both coffee drinkers, so we finished the coffee in no time :) When I saw the jar I knew that I could make something creative with it.

Materials:
An empty Robert Timms Coffee glass jar (don't worry the label is very easy to take off)
Floral foam brick
Kindall Krafts die-cut paper feathers (see here to see how to create an easy DIY hand-stamp)
Small bird figurine
Tooth picks
Super glue
Sticky tape

Optional:
To make the hello bubble speech shape
White Paper
Sharpie
Scissors

I'm soo sorry I didn't take a photo of the step by step instructions as I got too excited and carried away (again) ... Please feel free to ask me any questions if you're confused about the how to.

How to:

1. Cut a small piece of the floral foam brick and super glued it to the lid.
I also made sure that I could still open the jar when i was working out how big the floral foam needed to be, before gluing it down.
Note: we will turn the jar upside down so it's like a dome.

2. Place your bird figurine on the floral foam first and foremost, to ensure that you have enough space for it. You can build the paper feathers around it.
I got my figurine at a sea shells shop during one of our holidays and i absolutely loved it. They made the bird out of seashells. Can you believe it?! Very creative indeed. I painted the head with gold paint to make it a little more glam :)

3. Attach a tooth pick onto the back of each feather using sticky tape (It's easier than using glue). I made my feather double sided, simply by attaching another feather on the back using double sided tape. So the toothpick is sandwiched between 2 feathers. If you know what i mean ..

4. Simply insert the tooth-picked feathers on the floral foam.

The rest is up to your creativity...

I put an extra floral foam to add a bit of height for some of the feathers. I combined plain and patterned feathers so it looks more interesting. I also cut up a bubble speech shape out of plain white paper and write "hello" with sharpie. Then attached it using double sided tape.

.. and it's done.. Little birdie, now I can display and admire you better :)





Have you made something using die-cut paper feathers?
Enjoy!


12 comments:

  1. This is super cute! It came out very nicely.
    I often get too excited and forget to take photos of lots of things. =0)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kim! ha ..glad i'm not the only one :)

      Delete
  2. That turned out so cute. And it doesn't look too difficult to do, even those of us who are diy challenged might be able to do it.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're not diy challenged :) yes this diy was really easy to do. I think all my DIYs are generally pretty easy, perfect for those who have little time like me :)

      Delete
  3. This is such a cute and clever idea. I am on the lookout for a good looking jar. I use them for candles, but I never used them for display. Did you make the bird too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks marieken :) the jar i got was from Robert Trimms coffee and I like the shape. I never use my jar for candle. Is it safe? I wish I could make the bird :) I bought it from a shop a while ago. It's made out of sea shells.. so pretty.

      Delete
    2. I think it is, if there's a layer of sand on the bottom. It never broke or anything, and I always stay in the same room, where the candles are burning.

      Delete
    3. Oh no wonder I've seen many jars with candles and sand. I thought it was just for decorative. Thanks for the idea :)

      Delete
  4. That is so cute! I love the jar as a dome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! .. and it's recycling :)

      Delete
  5. I love your blog and I love this DIY bird dome, they're both super cute! Don't mind if I do blog stalk a little ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess. Of course i don't mind as I do the same to your blog :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...