Monday, November 25, 2013

DIY GOLD BEER BOTTLE VASES

I love the idea of upcycling ... using old items and turning them into something new. It's like giving it a second chance. It's also good for the earth and great for my wallet :)

So when my husband bought some beer, I thought these bottles would be the perfect materials for my next upcycling project: Gold Beer Bottle Vase.

If you already have beer bottles, you can make these quickly at almost no cost and use them to dress up your dinner table, ready for a golden Christmas party.

MATERIALS:

Empty beer bottles. I used Asahi. Hubsey loves the taste. I love the brown color bottles and the shape.
Masking tape
Paint and paint brush. I used gold acrylic paint. I thought gold would look great with the brown bottles.
A bit of water



HOW TO:

1. Wash the bottles and take off any labels.

2. For the design, it's really up to your creativity and what you want.
For me I did three different effects. I thought hey why not having fun and did a little experiment while I was at it.

Refer to the pic above:

#1 (Left bottle). Mask the bottle using the tape. Apply the paint on the bottle using dry brush. Just dab it randomly.



#2 (Middle bottle). Mask the bottle using tape. Here I did 3 different sections. Sorry I got carried away and didn't take a photo :) It's very simple to do though. Instead of using dry brush, I diluted the paint with some water to make it easier to apply. As a result, the paint looks thinner on the bottle. I did some random angle strokes.

#3 (Right bottle). Use the water and paint mixture, I put some paint on the bottle base and let it drip freely.


Easy peasy! There you have it three gold beer bottle vases.



PS: Remember the Sharpie accident that I posted here? I just found out that it was featured on Apartment Therapy's Before & After. After all, there's a silver lining in every cloud :) Check it out here.



10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the Apartment Therapy feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun project...love the dripping paint look.
    And congrats on the Apartment Therapy feature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I love adding gold paint to things. I think this would also be cool for decorating bottles of homemade beer or wine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to make use old stuffs and create something new. Congrats on being featured, Mia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea! We have so many empty beer bottles, haha. Both of us really enjoy it.

    Congrats on the Apartment Therapy feature! You did an amazing job covering up the scribbles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are gorgeous! I now have an excuse to buy a few pretty bottles of beer, thank you! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the gold! So fun! I tried to do this once, but it didn't turn out. I'll have to try again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! And yay for being featured on Apt Therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are lovely, such a nice way to upcycle some beer bottles :) The one with the gold stripes is my fave! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...