Friday, April 25, 2014

HEROES

Today is Anzac Day in Australia.
It is the day on which we remember Australian soldiers who served and died in the war.

I was reminded the other day when reading my Bible that freedom is not free. There were someone or people who paid for it, so we could get our freedom.
Like Jesus who died on the cross for our wrongdoings, so we could be free and made right with God ...
Like the soldiers who fought and died in the war, so their countries could be liberated ...

Today is a great day to remember and celebrate these heroes in our lives.

One of the heroes in my life is my mum. She worked so hard when we were young, so we could go to a good school and receive the best education we could get. I know that without my mom, I wouldn't be who I am today.




These are some pictures of what we do on Anzac Day here in Australia:


This is a Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne, which is the National War Memorial of Victoria, dedicated to all those who have served in the war. This is also where they do the Dawn Service at 6am on every Anzac Day.


My son made the Anzac biscuits for the first time at his kinder this year. Anzac biscuits have long been associated with the Anzac Day. It has been claimed the biscuits were sent by wives to soldiers abroad because the ingredients do not spoil easily and the biscuits kept well during naval transportation.

Source:
1. Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance photo by Penny Stephens via The Age
2. Anzac Biscuits photo by The Healthy Chef
3. Anzac Biscuits info by Wikipedia

Happy Anzac Day!

Who is the hero in your life?


8 comments:

  1. We remember the soldiers on may 4th, the monument looks very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's one of Melbourne's landmarks. You definitely must see it if you ever come to Melbourne :)

      Delete
  2. Our Memorial Day is May 26. Since living in Germany, i find myself reminded quite often of the sacrifices of my grandparents' generation. We've visited a number of cemeteries and monuments since we've been here. I'd say all four of my grandparents are my heroes because of the values and strength that they showed throughout their lives. Thanks for sharing this special day with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome heather! thanks for sharing your story x

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing! Such an important thing to keep remembering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post! Great to know.
    Happy Anzac Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have two similar holidays here in the States: Memorial Day in May and Veterans Day in October. It's so important that we remember!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom is definitely my hero. Always. I love that print.
    Those biscuits look really good, and that shot of the shrine is gorgeous.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...